Canadian National Railways Jordan Spreader #51041
The Jordan Spreader is used to spread ballast (gravel) among the railway ties. It can also be used for snow removal. The original ballast spreader and spreader-ditcher were invented by Oswald F. Jordan, a Canadian who was a roadmaster on New York Central’s Canada Southern operations.
The first two or three Jordan spreaders are believed to have been built under Jordan’s direct supervision in the St. Thomas Canada Southern shop about 1900 which was located immediately to the east of the building which now houses the Museum. After being partially damaged by fire, what was left of the building was razed in 1999.
Port Stanley Terminal Rail acquired CN 51041 from Canadian National’s Edmunston, New Brunswick shops in the summer of 1992. It last worked in Eastern Canada in 1990. The P.S.T.R donated it to the Elgin County Railway Museum in 1998. Still operational, 51041 is being preserved by museum volunteers for the enjoyment of generations to come.